Lobo was constructed largely from bits and pieces we had just laying around:
- Javelin Stamp – an upgraded BASIC Stamp that runs at a blistering rate of over 8,000 Java instructions per second.
- ASC16 – a dedicated RC servo controller, commanded by serial commands sent to it by the Javelin.
- SRF04 ultrasonic ranger for obstacle avoidance
- 13 unmodified RC servos; 2 for each leg, and 1 for panning the sonar sensor
- 4 NiCad cells for power
- A bunch of leftover acrylic for the chassis
- And 2 zip-ties for “ears” (certainly, the most critical component)
Here’s a video of Lobo’s very first steps:
And a video of Lobo successfully navigating around a thoroughly daunting obstacle – a cardboard box!